by Emma Thomas-McGinnis, artist & quilter
Header

Shabby Chic Girly Quilt

December 6th, 2008 | Posted by Emma in All | Quilting - (0 Comments)

In progress: this abstract rose quilt is a slightly modified version of a quilt in the Quilt Pink magazine (Better Homes and Gardens Creative Collection 2007).


Anyway, I chose fun and funky pinks, peaches and lavendars for the flowers and backgrounds. I backed it with a peach polar fleece, so I had to modify the process a little. I put together the backgrounds first, then sandwiched and pin-basted it. Then I quilted stitch-in-the-ditch method to hold it all in place. Then I layered on the roses. I pinned them on loosely, then stitched around the edges 1/4 inch in. The directions said to use a smaller stitch length because the edges will fray. After I get the binding on, I will wash it and it will have the fluffy, chabby chic look from the frayed edges. I can’t wait to see it that way!! I think I will loosely stipple quilt the border though, so there are a few more steps before washing.

Click on this picture, so you can see it bigger…it shows my process.

Christmas Sewing

November 22nd, 2008 | Posted by Emma in All | Crafts | Quilting - (0 Comments)




I’m in the Christmas spirit with my sewing!!

Thistle Quilt

July 29th, 2008 | Posted by Emma in All | Quilting - (0 Comments)

As promised, I’m sharing my completed thistle quilt. This was really just a practice piece to learn the paintstick technique, but that didn’t stop me from making it into a pretty quilt! I entered this in the Des Moines Area Quilter’s Guild Show in October.

See my March 2008 post for more details about the paint technique and design inspiration.

English Paper-piecing

March 27th, 2008 | Posted by Emma in All | Quilting - (0 Comments)

November 20, 2007, Sharon Meisenheimer gave a presentation to the Des Moines Area Quilter’s Guild Newcomers group on the topic of English paper-piecing. She was wonderful and the quilts she showed were truly amazing! I had fun with the little project we tried and have done a few more English paper-pieced projects since.

The first project was one for the center of a larger quilt. The hexagons were 1 1/2″.

FlowerGarden

Then I tried a smaller version, which I will finish as a small framed piece, like in Quilt magazine April/May 2008 called “Nana’s Flower Patch”. These hexagons were only 3/4″, but I don’t think it was significantly faster!

Nana's