Hi! I have another baby quilt project to tell you about. This one my mom and I worked on together for our family friend, Assi, and her new baby. Assi, from Finland, lived with us as a foreign exchange student in high school, so we consider her part of the family. She calls me aunt Emma!! I really hope to meet her daughter someday. We made this in the spring, but I didn’t want to write about it until the quilt was received in Finland. Now I can gaze at the photos she sent me of her sweet baby on her quilt! (more…)
My small group (minus one) made a group project together (for the one) again…something we seem to do quite often for a group only a few years old. And this was one of the most fun!! It was for Jonah, Dawn’s baby boy. We started it before he was born, but he is here now and wonderful! I got to hold him at the guild meeting last week and it was such a joy! Anyway, we also knew that Dawn already had plans for the nursery. It is a colorful room based on the monsters quilt I made this winter (and she bought). So we looked for a colorful design for our quilt and found this by Red Pepper Quilts. (more…)
Progress report…this is a really fun project!!
Step 1: Go to paint store and marvel at all the pretty colors! DONE!
Step 2: Try not to draw too much attention to yourself grabbing almost every swatch…too bad they don’t place all the swatches in the holders with their names showing. Anyway, DONE.
Step 4: Start looking at color combinations. Then start matching the swatches to my fabrics and finding combinations of fabrics I already have. (Can’t do another trip to JoAnn today, so I have to find the right fabrics here!)
I actually found way more close matches than I thought I would!!
Making combinations with only one of each initial was tricky. (I really wanted to use Mermaid Water Dance AND Monet Lily at the same time, but that wouldn’t fit the challenge!)
Picking names I liked was almost as much fun as picking colors. Some of my favorites…
but those were the ones I didn’t have fabrics for. Twilight chimes, egg yolk, maple leaf and Maine Lobster were pretty good too!
The chosen color scheme was finalized when I saw this perfect complementary floral, a great blender for all the colors.
So, Everlasting, Lantana, Mermaid Water Dance, Traditional it is.
And here’s the pattern I’m designing…
I’m not sure now, if the sashing fabric will give it enough contrast with the blocks. It might all match too well, if you know what I mean!! Maybe I’ll have to add some kind of embellishment. It’s also a pretty straightforward design and a little traditional. Something I haven’t done in a while with other Project Quilting projects, so it’s refreshing and new in that way. Should be pleasing and pretty.
Weird that the teal is not showing up in the photos as green as I see it. It really pops in real life. I can’t decide yet if the blocks need one or two leaves.
But there’s my progress. Hope to show you a completed quilt soon!
oh, almost forgot Step 5: Enjoy spring with some real life lavender-colored flowers! (and a sweet boy!)
Project Quilting and my “Seams Sew Easy” small group have collided this month by issuing the same challenge!!!
So I’m thinking about color names and my initials…ELTM (project quilting doesn’t allow 5 initials, though I have them!) The only difference in the two challenges is that my small group specified I find the color names on paint chips! So I’m not using Lavender, I’m going to find something exotic like “Elite Wisteria” or “Little Pond.” (those are actual names I just found using Behr.com’s ColorSmart tool! This is going to be fun.
Here’s the link to the Project Quilting Off-season Challenge if you’d like to join me. You never have to commit to the whole season to join Project Quilting, but this is even more low-key…so if you’ve been waiting to join in, now’s the time!!
p.s. I hope my Seams Sew Easy friends post their projects on the Project Quilting group!