by Emma Thomas-McGinnis, artist & quilter
Header

Angry Birds Christmas

December 27th, 2011 | Posted by Emma in Crafts | Quilting | Uncategorized - (0 Comments)
angrybirdsandb1

My boys love Angry Birds this year…what kid doesn’t, huh? Well, I made them a few accessories to fill their requests for Angry Bird stuff.

By far the best was these hats!!

We had seen some knitted angry bird hats at a gas station and thought I could do a better job with fleece. I think I did!

Except that as you can see in the pic, Brennan’s was too small. I wanted them to be a surprise, so I couldn’t try them on the kids. I just measured from one of their current hats. But when constructing, forgot to orient the grain of the fleece so as to stretch AROUND their heads, so I did have to rip a few seams and reconstruct them once. Aw well. It was only too bad that I had made it fully-lined and top-stitched before realizing my error!!

The next thing I made was really my son Conal’s idea. He wanted a “Pig Fortress Building Kit.” His idea was to use foam or boxes to make bricks for building pig houses. I bought a sheet of 3″ thick foam and covered them with brick patterned fabric like you would a baby block. The roof is a sheet of heavy-weight plastic canvas covered in fabric and batting.

This was the tote bag and sign for storing the game.

Here’s a pig in his fortress!

And here’s the fortress after launching a bird at it! This makes me very glad they have a big basement room to go throwing around their toys in!!

Here’s a funny action shot of Conal trying out his angry bird hat and pig fortress on Christmas morning (hence the mess all around!)

I think I took enough photos of the process that I could write a quick tutorial, let me know if you’re interested.

Shabby Chic Girly Quilt

December 6th, 2008 | Posted by Emma in All | Quilting - (0 Comments)

In progress: this abstract rose quilt is a slightly modified version of a quilt in the Quilt Pink magazine (Better Homes and Gardens Creative Collection 2007).


Anyway, I chose fun and funky pinks, peaches and lavendars for the flowers and backgrounds. I backed it with a peach polar fleece, so I had to modify the process a little. I put together the backgrounds first, then sandwiched and pin-basted it. Then I quilted stitch-in-the-ditch method to hold it all in place. Then I layered on the roses. I pinned them on loosely, then stitched around the edges 1/4 inch in. The directions said to use a smaller stitch length because the edges will fray. After I get the binding on, I will wash it and it will have the fluffy, chabby chic look from the frayed edges. I can’t wait to see it that way!! I think I will loosely stipple quilt the border though, so there are a few more steps before washing.

Click on this picture, so you can see it bigger…it shows my process.