by Emma Thomas-McGinnis, artist & quilter
Header

Hooray for Project Quilting!

January 10th, 2015 | Posted by Emma in All | Challenges | Quilting

Project Quilting Season 6, Challenge 1, I couldn’t resist!!! Yes, I have a huge project that I need to finish by a deadline, but that doesn’t stop me from dropping everything when I see a Project Quilting challenge posted!

So the Challenge theme = Trees. Easy peasy, I have tons of tree ideas, I love trees, trees are probably one of my favorite subjects to make art about…ever!  Trees, trees, trees!!! In Season 2, one of my all-time favorite pieces was Buttonwillow, with some 3D leaves that turned out really great.  So that was the idea I started with, I just wanted to make some more leaves.

Here’s a little photo of how I made the leaves. It’s a sandwich of two layers green fabric, right sides out, with fusible and interfacing in between. I drew the leaves, free motion quilted just inside the drawn lines and once down the spine and then cut them out close to the quilting.


Then I needed to figure out a good home for the leaves. Actually, I figured this out before actually making the leaves, but I thought a new journal/notebook would be nice. I have this pattern in a book which I made many of last year for teacher Christmas gifts. I got pretty good at making them, so that’s a good thing for a project I needed to get done quickly.

So, I pieced two pretty fabrics together for the background, then arranged the leaves and quilted them on…just along the sides near the tops, so they flap off a little and layer. It’s not looking much like it in the photos, but that bottom fabric is a warm brown and the top a green and brown fancy print. So the leaves are draping from the top over the “trunk” of the bottom!

Then I figured out where it would all fold up and I added a button and an elastic for a closure. I remembered that previously these notebooks didn’t stay closed very well, so this was my addition to the pattern to make it better! Here’s a photo of where I sewed on the elastic closure, there’s no seam there to sandwich it, but a leaf worked perfectly!

Finally, here’s the completed book. There are eyelets along the sides and I used binder clips to hold the paper in.

Hopefully you already know all about Project Quilting! Here is a link to the post about this challenge, and if you scroll to the bottom, you can see the Linky where others have made some pretty great projects! Enjoy!

 

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can leave a response, or trackback.

2 Responses



Leave a Reply to Trish Frankland Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *